Friday, December 4, 2009

Struggles

Today is the big day. My husband and son are both having surgery. My husband is getting his right rotator cuff repaired (later he'll have to have the left one fixed) and my son is having his right thumb tendon reconnected.

Yes, you heard right. My son was going to need knee surgery, but that's on hold. Erik loves swords and has collected them since he was young. Unfortunately life has overwhelmed him and he's going through depression and has been drinking. He was cleaning one of his swords on Tuesday night and slipped. I happened to be out with ladies from our church when it happened so Dad got all the fun of going to the emergency room. Now today they will have father-son surgery by the same surgeon. He said it was a first for him. It's a first for me.

I was feeling rather overwhelmed with it all when a friend shared a paper of Scriptures and thoughts she had written down out of the clear blue. Now neither she nor I believe in coincidence so I know God put this on her heart for me. The top of the page starts with:

THE BATTLE BELONGS TO THE LORD.

My son and husband both have dealt with depression and anxiety on and off for most of their lives. Jim has managed to deal with a lot of it, but Erik not so much. It's a burden that weighs horribly on me, yet through getting counseling, I'm starting to see the situation for what it is, and to realize the battle belongs to the Lord.

This isn't an easy post to write, but I knew you would all understand when I asked for prayers for my family. I know God has a plan - even in this.

My friend wrote to me - "I was thinking of a song and scriptures that really helped me when I needed to sit back, stand still and allow the Lord to fight my battles for me." Then she references Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."

How precious that verse is to me. I can rest in Him and be still. He will take control. I don't need to worry. Such peace comes in that thought. I can face anything knowing that God is nigh--that He has already made provision and will not forsake me.

My friend ends her letter with quotes from the song The Battle Belongs to the Lord. I leave you with the same thoughts. Words and music by Jamie Owens-Collins.

"When your enemy presses in hard do not fear...The battle belongs to the Lord. Take courage my friend your redeption is near. The battle belongs to the Lord."

Tracie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact