Friday, June 5, 2009

Texas and Me


We're back from Texas and what a fun and productive trip. I love it when everything falls into place in such concise order.

We flew into Houston and immediately drove northeast to Lufkin, TX. The next day we went to an amazing History Center in DiBoll where the staff turned out to be the friendliest and best informed folks I could have hoped for. Here's a picture of my husband Jim, the director John Gerland and me.


John is one smart guy when it comes to knowing his Texas history, but so too was Emily, Louis and Patsy. Great folks and I can't praise them enough.

From there we went to the Texas Forestry Museum in Lufkin. Again there was so much to learn about the Texas logging industry. Yes, this is for a new series. Most folks don't think logging and Texas go hand in hand, but they do. It's an amazing history to be sure.


We also learned 3 things about Texas. 1. There is a Dairy Queen in every East Texas town. 2. There is a Donut Palace in every East Texas town. 3. There is a fried cat-fish cafe, restaurant, BBQ or other eating facility in every East Texas town. So if you are hankerin' for donuts, ice cream or catfish - Texas may be the place for you.

I never fail to be amazed at the way God puts me in the right place at the right time. Texas is usually hard for me because of the heat and humidity, but the weather was perfect and both temps and humidity were low enough that I didn't have a bit of trouble. I kept thinking of how God watches over the birds and flowers and has numbered the hairs on my head, so of course He can manage the the temps and humidity for me.

Tracie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact