Saturday, April 28, 2012

QUARRY FUN

As promised, I wanted to share some of the neat pictures I took on my research trip to Minnesota Just outside of St. Cloud, MN is Quarry Park. It's one of the most incredible hidden treasures of Minnesota. The park is over 600 acres and has the most amazing walking trails. My friend Merrill DeGroot and I walked throughout the park and took photos for my research..
The granite is plentiful in this area of Minnesota.
The quarries here are just a few of what the state has to offer. Some of these quarries are over 100 ft. deep. The park allows rock climbing and scuba diving with permits, as well as fishing and swimming in specific areas. Walking through the wooded areas we enjoyed seeing yet another spring come to life. The aspens, oaks, maples were only a few of the trees that gave us a beautiful backdrop.
Of course dandilions were blooming and butterflies were enjoying the warm weather.
In the late 1800's and early 1900's derricks like this one were used for moving tons of granite stone.
This derrick has been refurbished to keep history alive.
When machines weren't available for power, horses would pull the lines and move the rock. It was a pretty amazing feat. While in St. Cloud I also went to the Stearns County Museum.
The folks there are wonderful to talk to and most helpful. John in the research library knew exactly where the book I needed was located. Cindy helped me with a mass mailing of research materials from the wonderful little shop. Local museums are some of the very best places to get research information. I love supporting them any way I can. This exhibit of quarrying was very useful.
The trip was pretty fast paced, but we did take time out to eat at Joe's Crab Shack. Hey, it was our reward for walking all those miles in the Quarry Park. Hope you get a chance to visit this great park. Oh, and last but not least - KINDLE has been offering A LADY OF HIGH REGARD for free! I don't know how long this will be available so you need to check it out right away.
God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact