Saturday, May 5, 2012

Old Photos

I love to see glimpses of the past. My cousin often shares old family pictures and I've included a few of them here, as well as a couple of old photos that I've found in research. The expressions aren't always that great as people had to sit very still to keep from blurring the photo and weren't encouraged to smile lest they weary before the picture could take. I love this picture of my grandfather and great uncle. Note that both are wearing dresses - made changing them and going to the "necessary" a whole lot easier.
Although the sun is keeping everyone squinting in this one, I love it. This is a photograph of my great grandparents with my Auntie Madeline (who's just as cute now as she was then) and her little brother Gerald. Gerald died a couple of years after this from meningitis. It was in the 1930's and before penicillin was available. My Grandma Williams used to talk about him from time to time and would always break into tear, even 50+ years after the fact. Losing a child is never easy
This is one of my very favorites of my Grandma Williams. She looks so happy here. She was a master gardener and a great storyteller. I'm sure part of my love of story is from her, as well as my mom.
When Judy and I toured a home in Georgia, this neat photo was on the wall. I love the way this Southern belle looks. I can't help but wonder what was going on in her life when this was taken.
I love this photo of Frederic and Ida Magnenats on Corpus Christi's shoreline in 1905. I found it when I was researching and fervently wish I could have had this as a book cover. Isn't it charming?
Last but not least, I thought I'd share a little bit of the not so distant past. This is me in the arms of my step-dad, alongside my mother. The picture was taken when I was not quite 3 and shortly after they wed. People thought I looked just like my step-dad because we both had red hair. Photographs are such wondrous keepers of time. God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home
 
Home
Meet Tracie
Books
Events
Guestbook
Media
Journal
Writing Tips
Contests
Photos
Contact